Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Welcome to my blog!


Ladies and gentlemen,

This inaugural post needs to begin by thanking you all for visiting my page, regardless of how you may have stumbled upon it. My name is Keith Whalen and I am a self-taught guitarist living in the beautiful Canadian metropolis of Montreal. After many years of toiling, composing and noodling on the guitar and piano, I have built up an expansive repertoire of musical exercises ranging from the quaggy cadence to the finger-busting ultra-stretch arpeggio passage. I've been sharing snippets of my work on my YouTube page for a couple of years now and I'm very humbled by the kind words many of you have expressed; I've also been asked on the occasion to share tabs, which I will be able to do with relative ease here.

The exercises I am most solicitous in sharing are relatively new and are principally geared toward the moderate to advanced guitar player, although in many cases the insistence is concision and simplicity to acquire the desired effect. I plan on including exercises in economy picking, hybrid picking and certainly arpeggios, all of which will reflect my personal musical proclivities. I have also done a lot of research into the highly acclaimed Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns by Nicolas Slonimsky and intend to share my findings with you all. I may also use the page periodically to share my thoughts on music that I enjoy.

What kind of influences will make a clandestine appearance? There will be no escaping my penchant for Shawn Lane's guitar playing. He is without a doubt my favorite guitar player of all-time and many thanks to W.J for introducing me to his music. Jason Becker is the other guitarist who fueled my desire to improve and practice like a madman; from him stems my early interest in classical music. I'm also very fond of transcribing Bach and Alkan pieces to the guitar and I hope you will enjoy the transcriptions I intend to share.

Stay tuned and leave me a message or comment here if you wish: youtube.com/keithwhalen11

Keith Whalen

No comments:

Post a Comment